Friday 3 September 2010

on the road

Well here I am in Berlin about a week since my last post.. I know Im bad.. I need to be told.. It certainly hasnt been uneventful.

It absolutely rained without mercy in Lithuania, but it stop me going out with my shitty old shoes on.. why the hell I went traveling with shoes that were falling apart I will never know... and now I have a cold.. great! o well, I had a great time there, it was deffo one of the many highlights for me in my trip.

Although when I get there I couldnt find a room at like 6am so that wasnt too clever... I must book!! hahah! What an amang place it is good ol' Vilnius. Graffiti, loads of art, good food, parties. I kind of just explored the city myself, and got amazing views over the city.. mm soo cool. I also went out with some lovely couchsurfers and fellow travelers, they were all soo nice. I enjoyed some brilliant live music and a good many laughs!
The next day was rain again... and soo I we to a castle.. as yo do...
But it was well interesting though I wen to Trakai, a beautiful island castle on a equally beautiful lake. I spent a brilliant day there!

The next stop was Warsaw Poland, This is when this stupid cold started.
Some of you may know Warsaw was devestaed during ww2. I wasn really expecting much in the way of seeing much old stuff. However the old town looks great, they have reconstructed it, and it looks really nice. It was really interesting though hering the history of Warsaw though, what the warsaw people have been through, wow.. alot.. I was only there from 6.30am until 4pm soo I never really seen alot.. and I was exhausted,, but I figure what I saw was quite good, hey I was impressed. I must come back to poland though.

Then it was onto Berlin, I stayed at an absolutely amazing hostel, it really is brilliant, check out the Circus hostel if you get a chance to go to Berlin.

My first day here I had absolutely no clean clothes so it was washing and to change money etc. I went on a free tour of the Eastside of Germany, meeting lovely fellow travelers, seeing brilliant street art and taking it all in. Its truley why I came to Berlin, to see that, Ive taken soo many pics of the wall that I will and must get organised on my flicker account with as soon as I get back.

I also got the chance the next day to go to Potsdam for a trip out of the city. I saw a KGB prison, why have I came on holiday to see prisons again? The history and the things that the Soviet machine put people through though was truley brutal.

Potsdam itself was brilliant though, I had such a good time there, I saw a palace, eat really good Thai food. It was soo different to Berlin though. It I felt was alot more European and still retained that regal feeling with the huge palace! Honestly I thought I would be walking forever in that thing.

Yesterday I went to Check point charlie and seen The Kaiser wilhiem Church, Brandenburggate and the Jewish memorial... That was certainly a busy day... and my last full day infact soo I had to see it all right. The most amazing thing I saw was the Jewish memorial though. Row and row of square stones on uneven ground, with a museum doccumenting the lives of European Jews devestated by the 2nd world war.
Truley Im glad that its there becase it serves as a reminder to people that we cant go though that again.. how evil human beings can be.

Today I havnt done much other than feel like shit.. still got this stinkin cold..
but Ive had a great time here in Berlin...
Although I am quite excite to get back to Brighton...
Its really a place tocome fo those facinated in the history of Europe, a brilliant place with many faces.

What a fantastic trip, and now Im exhausted.. Ive done so mmuch and got soo much out of it. Now ts back to reality and to put what I have learned into action.

caio xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment