Tuesday 7 September 2010

growing old discracefully

Getting older... hummm... Well recently I have been struck with this idea.. my body's changing.. lets be honest I'm no old duck but I'm no spring chicken anymore either. 26 years of age this year, and man I'm starting to feel like an adult. My friends are growing up around me, popping out kids, and finding families of there own.

Hey its not like I mind getting older, the way I see it its kind of like starting a new chapter of a really cool book, I feel like the adventures just getting started. Allot of famous peoples lives finish at the age of 27, and many people see this as kind of something of a mile stone. I definitely see it as that its kind of like a time in my life when my life is kind of falling into place. Throughout my life, Ive constantly saw how life "should" be lived and tried to obtain it. Even in minority groups like being Gay you get the perfect gay lifestyle seemingly forced down your throat.

Getting older definitely isn't projected by the media as a good thing, in so many ancient cultures of the world it was, maybe we have lost that? I see getting older, as learning new things, taking new chances, and also slowing down abit, looking on how far you have come through life, and enjoying your life with the people around me.

We cant take anything with us right? so why not live it to the full. Age is a magical thing that people shouldn't fear, when you see each day as a new adventure. So I know personally I aim to slam down those stereotypes that are so often forces down our throat, how we should look etc. and grow old disgracefully :)

please leave a comment Id love to hear your views on the subject..
cheers, Luke x

5 comments:

  1. I just left a comment on your 20sb post about the 'getting older' thing. It's something that I think of and constantly battle myself from fearing. I work in an industry where most of the young people who are successful have been going at it for a while. Everyone is worried about their appearance and how marketable they are. Hell, I just changed my hair color from something I very much loved to something that's supposedly "more marketable."

    There is a balance growing old and being happy. I just need to be better at it. I don't want to end up being a crotchety old fart. I want to be that fabulous old person with the bike and the blue, choppy hair.

    You're totally right. Screw the stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I just saw this woman down the road just like that, she had white foundation on and red blusher!! geisha anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix...that's a little weird that they came to their demise at the same age.
    I am 27, and freaking about nearing 30, especially since I still see myself as a teenager!
    Stereotypes affect everyone, though...you don't know how many times I get the pep-talk of having children. People (these South Alabama rednecks) are like, "How old are you?" , "You have time". And I feel like children are just not in my future...I want to live a life full of excitement and travel, not feel like I need to adhere to the Down-South ways of most girls my age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it seems there are only very limited ways on how to live huh? yeah its like that age when everything seems so real, and "adult" all of a sudden?

    Im glad your strong enough to see that, and just live your life the way you want to though! It seems feminism hasn't really happened in some peoples eyes? I still feel young though dont get me wrong, but my peers are just older, its just me realising that I am getting older... :) well if I cam to Alabama, I think they prob would have a few words to say to me aswell!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just now reading this...yeah, i'm trying and think I am starting to get in the "don't give a fuck" mindset when it comes to what others say or think. realizing that life is so short and we're just a blip on the radar of this universe if you look at the big picture...why waste your time pretending to be something you're not?
    we should surround ourselves with people who care about us and say fuck you to those who don't:)

    ReplyDelete