Tuesday 23 March 2010

kick ass- a metaphor for our society?

hummm after coming back home from meeting my friend and realising I had to be at the pics in 10 minutes (I'm so bad at time keeping)I shot back out the door and sped down the road to see Kick Ass..

What was I expecting to see?
- Violence- hey this was a "Super Hero" Movie
- An easy to follow plot
- Abit of Fun
- Possibly abit of romance (the good guy gets the girl type of thing)

Things I was not expecting
-Peoples legs to be sliced off by a 12 year old
-A range of weapons I have never seen before used
- Some kind of vigilante save the world scenario

Carrying a 15 certificate, This film will probably get seen by the majority of teenage boys out there. Games like Hit man, Driver, Metal gear solid..the list goes on, only need to tell you its target market. This film flits between being like SuperBad (a good thing) Spiderman (also a good thing) and some think you know you shouldn't be watching but are anyway because you like the other stuff. This film is Violent, yes, do I think it should be carring more than an 18 certificate-yes.

For me it was kind of like a metaphor for our culture. Good verses bad. We all know who is gonna win eventually- and hey we are all scouting for the good aswell. We are told by our government that we must "save the world from terrorism" that we are doing this for the good of the people. So many people have died on both sides of the coin for riotousness. This film says alot. I'm not saying we shouldn't be defending our liberties but is this what we want for our children our liberties fucked up by the system we are fighting for?

Yes I did enjoy it in parts-it was kind of a guilty pleasure, but it was also sad to see this is what a "superhero" supposed to be about- as usual the revenge scenario. "O I'm going to save the world so Ill kill loads of people in the process". and I actually like superhero movies, personally I thought that kick ass was one step to far, it didn't need as much violence in it to make it a good film. I enjoyed the overall story line, but the level of violence just ruined it for me.

Has anyone else seen it yet? what did you think?

Leave a comment, Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment